What is a Playshop? It's a workshop, but with fun and play!
Janet Planet and the whole Drummin' Fun staff are available for playshops and programs in:
- the fun and creative Found Soundz series
- our popular Passport to Rhythm classes
- the joyous Bucket Brigade
- traditional Shona music from Zimbabwe on the mbira d'vadzimu; making your own deze
- traditional West African djembe & dunduns
- lectures on traditional and contemporary music, culture, and history from Africa and the African Diaspora
Guest Artist Playshops
Through an ongoing relationship with many of Janet Planet's friends, teachers and mentors, Drummin' Fun has the opportunity to bring African Music Masters and other Master Musicians to Southern California for music and dance playshops. Drummin' Fun has hosted such World Music and percussion luminaries as:
- Arthur Hull - The Father of the Modern Drum Circle Movement. Click here for Arthur's Drum Circle Facilitator and Rhythmical Alchemy Playshops.
- Mamady Keita - The widely-acknowledged world authority on, and Master Drummer of traditional West African Djembe Ensemble music, from Guinea.
- Stella Chiweshe - The Queen of Mbira from Zimbabwe.
- Kwashi - Ewe drumming, dance, culture, and history direct from Ghana. Join Kwashi's Study Tour to Ghana in the Autumn of 2005.
- TA KE TI NA - is a completely new way of learning and understanding rhythm; an encounter with our primal rhythmic knowledge; a musical group process that dissolves behavior patterns which have been inhibiting our lives and relationships.
PARTIAL LIST OF PAST PLAYSHOPS & PERFORMANCES
DRUMMIN FUN 2005 PLAYSHOPS & PERFORMANCES
Arthur Hull - March 11 - 13 - in cooperation with Remo, Inc. and Village Music Circles, Drummin' Fun brings the Father of the Modern Dum Circle movement to Southern California for his first Los Angeles Rhythmical Alchemy Playshop. MORE
DRUMMIN FUN 2004 PLAYSHOPS & PERFORMANCES
Arthur Hull - April 30 - May 2 - in cooperation with Remo, Inc. and Village Music Circles, Drummin' Fun brings the Father of the Modern Drum Circle movement to Southern California for his Drum Circle Facilitators Playshop. MORE
Mamady Keita & Balandugu Kan - January 24, 2004 - "From the Home of the Djembe: An Evening in Guinea with Mamady Keita and His Family & Friends" - One of the top Djembefolas in the world performs traditional djembe ensemble music with advanced students and professors of Tam Tam Mandingue live at Temple Bar in Santa Monica, show begins at 9:00 p.m.; Balandugu Kan performs at 10:30 p.m. MORE
DRUMMIN FUN 2003 PLAYSHOPS & PERFORMANCES
Mamady Keita - September 22-23 - One of the top Master Drummers and teachers of traditional djembe ensemble music visits Los Angeles as part of his Djembe Kan 2003 Tour. MORE
Stella Chiweshe - August 1 - From Zimbabwe the "Queen of Mbira" brings her musical heritage to Los Angeles with workshops in Shona mbira d'vadzimu, singing, & dancing.
Arthur Hull - June 6-8 - in cooperation with Remo, Inc. and Village Music Circles, Drummin' Fun brings the Father of the Modern Dum Circle movement to Southern California. MORE